Nathan Edwards made it two wins from two at Oulton Park with victory in the second Vertu MINI CHALLENGE race of the weekend.

As had been the case for race one, the EXCELR8 Motorsport driver lined up on pole position for the start and when the lights went out, was able to get away well from the line to retain his place at the head of the field.

That was despite a brief scare before the start, with his car briefly cutting out as he came up to park on pole.

The race from that point on would mirror that seen on Saturday as Edwards was able to build a lead of half a second through the opening lap ahead of team-mate Tom Ovenden which he was then able to manage his advantage at the front.

Also setting the fastest lap allowed Edwards to take a maximum score of 56 from the race to move him to move him up into the top three in the championship standings.

Behind, Ovenden was able to repeat his result from the opening race as he once again took second spot to complete an EXCELR8 1-2, with the early stages of the race suggesting that the team could be on a podium lockout.

“We’ve had a dry spell podium wise since Donington Park, so to get two this weekend is great,” Ovenden said. “Well done to Nathan again as he’s driven really well, but it just shows how important qualifying is round here as he got pole and then was able to lead from the front. That’s something to focus on for next year.”

A poor start from Max Hall allowed Josh Porter to jump into third spot on the opening lap, with Porter looking to secure his first podium since moving up into the JCW category at the start of last season.

Porter was initially holding off Hall before he was overhauled by Nelson King at the hairpin on lap four, with King then becoming the man trying to clear Porter to get third.

Unfortunately, Porter would drop out of the battle on the seventh lap when he went off on the exit of Druids after losing the rear of his car and clattered into the tyres on the inside of the corner – putting him out of the action on the spot.

That allowed King to come through to third place ahead of Hall to ensure a repeat of the race one podium.

“I think Josh deserved the podium more than me and I wouldn’t have got ahead of him if he hadn’t gone off,” King admitted. “We struggled a bit in qualifying so it’s good to be in P3 again as you don’t expect that to happen round here from fifth on the grid.”

Dan Zelos started the race back in seventh, but lost a spot on lap one before fighting his way ahead of Lewis Selby and then team-mate Dominic Wheatley to eventually finish the race in fifth, with Wheatley rounding out the top six.

Jamie Osborne was seventh but only after a difficult race that included a clash with NAPA Racing UK partner Selby at the final corner. That clash tipped Selby into a sideways moment before he was collected by the following Bradley Gravett – which put Gravett out of the race on the spot.

Selby was able to rejoin but had lost places and would end up taking the flag behind Matt Hammond in ninth spot, meaning Hammond secured top honours in the Directors Cup.

Post race, Osborne would be handed a two place penalty for the contact with his team-mate, dropping him down to ninth and bumping both Selby and Hammond up a spot.

James Griffith and Lydia Walmsley followed behind, with the latter having been forced to pit to have grass removed from the radiator after a trip off track at Cascades.

A tough weekend for Marlo Cordell concluded with a second retirement after the JamSport driver was forced to bring his car into the pits with a mechanical issue.