MINI CHALLENGE LAUNCHES OFFICIAL ESERIES WITH VRRC
The MINI CHALLENGE is to launch an Official eSeries in association with Virtual Reality Racing Club (VRRC). Using the same specification Gen 3 F56 MINI JCW race car used in the UK’s premier touring car support class, the eSeries will follow the same calendar as the proposed 2020 season and will start in May.
Entries for both real-world MINI CHALLENGE drivers and sim racers will open on the 27th April and close on the 8th May. A number of grid slots will be made available to the sim racers using a qualifying format which will take place in the week commencing 11th May. The races will be live streamed via the MINI CHALLENGE Facebook page and YouTube Channels.
The series will be run on the Assetto Corsa simulation platform with weekly races on a Saturday afternoon. Races will be a double header event with a qualifying session determining the starting grid for race one and a reverse top ten grid for the second race. This will then be repeated. Points will be awarded as per the real MINI CHALLENGE championship.
Antony Williams, Championship Director said “I am pleased to be able to launch this eSeries. Whilst we are not racing in real life at the moment this allows our championship to continue, albeit in the virtual world. Our partners and those of our competing drivers are able to continue to benefit from the promotional opportunities the MINI CHALLENGE presents. This is very much our first foray into the world of eSports, but hopefully it can become a part of what we have to offer here at the MINI CHALLENGE.”
Championship prizes are to be announced in due course.
To cover the costs of running this series an entry fee of £50 inc VAT will be charged per event. To register your interest please e-mail Rich at VRRC on email@example.com. Entries will open on Monday 27th April and a dedicated webpage will be available on the MINI CHALLENGE website to allow sign up. The closing date for entries is the 8th May.
Qualifying events: 11th – 15th May
1. Donington Park National – Saturday 23rd May
2. Brands Hatch Indy – Saturday 30th May
3. Silverstone National – Saturday 6th June
4. Oulton Park Island – Saturday 13th June
5. Snetterton 300 – Saturday 20th June
6. Croft – Saturday 27th June
7. Knockhill – Saturday 4th July
8. Brands Hatch GP – Saturday 11th July
Anyone requiring a simulator to take part can contact Rich at the VRRC website or via firstname.lastname@example.org for information. Please note a 5 week lead time is currently in place due to Covid-19.
Q: What hardware and software do I need to be able to take part.
A: You will need the PC version of Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition. All content for the races will be made available prior to the start of the series. You also need a steering wheel / pedals to drive the car in the game.
Note: it is not possible to take part on Mac, Xbox or PlayStation.
Q: Why is there a £50 per race meeting entry fee?
A: We have set this up as a serious and professionally run sim racing series. There are costs to setting this up and a large amount of time to bring the championship to fruition. Included within entry fees:
- Live streaming of the race series to the MINI CHALLENGE YouTube and Facebook pages with professional commentary
- Race clerk of the course and the dealing of judicial matters
- Production of race results and championship points
- Access to the dedicated private race and test server
- Technical support to ensure every driver can enjoy without problems
- Marketing of the championship (we want to continue to support our partners and support our drivers and their sponsors too)
- Big prizes